|Population||1,326 (2001 Census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Compton sits nestled below the ridge that stretches south west from Aldersley, with some of its housing climbing the steep hill near 'The Holloway' on the climb towards Tettenhall Wood. Across the Smestow valley the terrain rises again in the direction of Finchfield. The valley here through which the Smestow Brook flows was formed as a glacial meltwater channel. The area was quarried for its sandstone.
Its place name reflects its position - first recorded in the Domesday book of 1086 as 'Contone', from Old English cumb - a narrow valley or deep hollow ('cumb' is likely a continuation in use or a loan word from Brythonic cwm (Welsh) or cum (Cornish), meaning 'valley'), and Old English tūn - a farmstead or fenced place.
In the late 19th-early 20th century, Compton was home of a distinguished local artist Joseph Vickers de Ville (1856–1925). It was during this time that the still existing terraced housing was built along Henwood Road near the Bridgnorth Road junction.
Today, the quarrying has stopped, and housing estates have been constructed along the side of the valley. Much of the area was built in the latter half of the 20th century, though Compton does retain some of its older buildings such as several houses on The Holloway.
At present, Compton Park campus is one of two Business Schools of the University of Wolverhampton; the other is in Telford. The Sir Jack Hayward Training Ground of Wolverhampton Wanderers football club is in Compton Park.
Compton has several shops, take-aways, restaurants and pubs. They include Clare's of Compton hairdressers, The Wineseller off-licence, A Cottage Garden flower shop, Taylor Biddle opticians, Compton Dry Cleaners and Launderette, Spar convenience store and a Sainsburys Local. There is a fish and chip takeaway called Pep's Plaice on the Bridgnorth Road. Restaurants include Tiger Wok Thai / Chinese restaurant, Zooma Indian Restaurant, and House Of Canton Cantonese restaurant. A pub / restaurant, The Oddfellows sits alongside the Compton island, and one of the oldest pubs in Wolverhampton, The Swan at Compton is located on the junction of The Holloway and Bridgnorth Road.
The nearest railway station today is Wolverhampton but Compton had its own station, Compton Halt, on the Wombourne Branch Line from 1925 - 1932. The line remained open for freight until closure in 1965. The line now forms part of a railway walk. Compton has a frequent bus service 10/10A/10B connecting Compton with Perton and Wolverhampton while less direct services 62/62A connect to Wolverhampton via Tettenhall and Dunstall. These services are operated by National Express West Midlands while Arriva Midlands service 9 operates hourly Mon-Sat between Wolverhampton and Bridgnorth.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120305172036/http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/92D8CE13-255C-4350-9D36-3085739B8DD0/0/Compton.pdf Area profile of Compton Neighbourhood (2001 Census)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 September 2011. Retrieved 18 January 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Black Country Living Landscape
- David Horovitz - 'The place-names of Staffordshire' (2006)
- The Sir Jack Hayward Training Ground / 9 March 2008 Archived 7 March 2008 at the Wayback Machine