Kate (text editor)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kate in KDE Plasma 5
|Stable release||20.04.0 (23 April 2020)|
The KDE Advanced Text Editor, or Kate, is a text editor developed by the KDE free software community. It has been a part of KDE Software Compilation since version 2.2, which was first released in 2001. Intended for software developers, it features syntax highlighting, code folding, customizable layouts, regular expression support, and extensibility.
Kate has been part of the KDE Software Compilation since release 2.2 in 2001. Because of KParts technology, it is possible to embed Kate as an editing component in other KDE applications. Major KDE applications which use Kate as an editing component include the integrated development environment KDevelop, the web development environment Quanta Plus, and the LaTeX front-end Kile.
Kate is a programmer's text editor that features syntax highlighting for over 300 file formats with code folding rules. The syntax highlighting is extensible via XML files. It supports UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1 and ASCII encoding schemes and can detect a file's character encoding automatically.
Kate features multiple document interface, window splitting, project editing[further explanation needed] and sessions to facilitate editing multiple documents. Using sessions, one can customize Kate for different projects by saving the list of open files, the list of enabled plug-ins and the window configuration.
Kate is built using the KParts framework; it is a graphical shell around the editor component, referred to as katepart.
- List of text editors
- Comparison of text editors
- List of computing mascots
- Category:Computing mascots
- "KDE's April 2020 Apps Update". KDE. 23 April 2020. Retrieved 28 April 2020.
- "Distribution Packages". Kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Distributions Shipping KDE". Kde.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Kate on Windows". kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "Kate on Mac OS". kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Kate's Mascotthe Woodpecker". Kate | Get an Edge in Editing. 2014-10-12. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "2.1 to 2.2 Changelog". KDE.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "Issue 2 is Out!". LinuxVoice.com. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KDE SC 4.14 wird 4er-Reihe abschließen". Golem.de (in German). 2014-07-10.
- "kate.git". Projects.KDE.org. Archived from the original on 2013-09-09. Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- Cullmann, Christoph (2005-03-24). "Writing a Syntax Highlighting File | Kate | Get an Edge in Editing". Kate-Editor.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KDE's Kate Text Editor Gets Vi Input Mode". ArsTechnica.com. 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Using the Project Plugin in Kate". 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- "Using Sessions". Docs.KDE.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KatePart | Kate | Get an Edge in Editing". Kate-Editor.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.